National Association of Social Workers – New York State Chapter
Application Deadline: June 8, 2018
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is seeking a full-time Executive Assistant for the New York State Chapter. The Executive Assistant reports directly to the NASW-NYS Executive Director. In addition, applicants should have a substantial knowledge of and a strong commitment to the social work profession and social work values, with an awareness of the diversity of social work practice. Applicants should also be able to engage, inspire, and mobilize the Association’s membership.
NASW is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world, with 117,000 members nationwide and more than 7,200 in the New York State Chapter. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies.
I. MAJOR FUNCTION:
Under general supervision, the Executive Assistant works directly with the Executive Director and will be responsible for performing a number of administrative duties.
II. BASIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Welcomes Chapter members and guests to the building
- Responds to inquiries from membership and route calls as necessary
- Assists Chapter staff with meeting preparations
- Arranges travel for Chapter staff, presenters/volunteers, and the Board of Directors
- Performs office duties, that include ordering supplies and managing records
- Opens, sorts, and distributes mail/correspondence
- Prepares reports, memos, invoices, and letters on behalf of staff and the Board
- Schedules meetings for and with Chapter staff and the Board of Directors
III. MINIMUM WORK REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface effectively at the executive level, with Board members, Association committees, and across the organization.
- Ability to effectively manage competing and changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Must be an excellent communicator, both orally and in writing. Strong grammar and writing skills are required.
- Must have a strong customer service orientation and be able to adapt effectively to a variety of personalities.
- Must be able to effectively plan, organize, and track projects and tasks. Project management experience is a plus.
- Requires demonstrated analytical, quantitative, and budget administration skills.
- Requires exquisite attention to detail. Must be detail-oriented without losing sight of the big picture.
- Requires advanced skills with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience with SharePoint and iMIS a plus. Experience with budget software and other accounting packages desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Requires 3-5 years of prior related work experience in addition to the education requirement, preferably in an association management environment or nonprofit setting.
- Results driven: Sees the big picture, assists with the development and monitoring of key performance metrics to produce the desired results.
- Strong business acumen: Sees opportunities and emerging trends, and is knowledgeable about the operations, unique needs, and goals specific to member-driven, not-for-profit organizations.
- Firm and fair leadership: Will work with a wide range of staff, colleagues, and members, requiring a firm, fair, and flexible style that both complements the efforts and supports the needs of others.
- Partnership: Able to build trust internally and externally and must be viewed as highly professional, discreet, and accountable.
- Organizational agility: Thoughtful, respectful communication style that fosters an open environment, enabling thought-provoking discussions and collaborative decision making.
- Perceptive: Creative and intuitively recognizes opportunities and takes appropriate action.
The Chapter office is located in Albany, NY. Application deadline: June 8, 2018. Only electronic applications will be accepted. Applicants will email a cover letter and résumé, addressing above qualifications, and a writing sample (10 pages maximum) to NASW-NYS Executive Director, Samantha Howell, Esq., at email@example.com