Karin Carreau, MSW
NASW-NYS Policy Consultant
- ACTION ALERT: Call your legislator and ask them to #InvestinSocialWorkJanuary 29, 2018SOCIAL WORKERS, this is urgent. Your profession needs you. As our #InvestinSocialWork campaign continues to gain momentum at the Capitol, we are facing continued, if not increased, opposition to halt our efforts to end the licensure exemption that allows seven state agencies to hire unlicensed employees to perform mental health services – including diagnosis and treatment of (serious) mental illness – and to request a substantial state investment into the social work profession. To that end, we want to address some concerns that have been raised over the 14 years we have been advocating for an end to the exemption: Myth: NASW-NYS wants to restrict access to care. False. What we are looking to restrict is the number of diagnoses and treatments provided by unlicensed mental health providers. Myth: NASW-NYS wants to delay care (inadvertently deny care). False. At the core of the Social Work Investment Initiative is improving the quality of mental health care for all ... Read more
- ACTION ALERT: Call your Assembly Member to Establish Legislative Committee on Racial Equity in the NYS AssemblyNovember 8, 2017Call to Action Re: AB.5851 Racial Equity Bill Call Your Assembly Member Today! Disproportionate negative outcomes for people of color are represented throughout every system, including the legislative arena. While the general intent of legislation is to ameliorate social issues, it does not always consider embedded racial inequities and as such, can ultimately serve to exacerbate problems. Part of the solution is to employ a “Racial Equity Impact Assessment (REIA); a systematic examination of how different racial and ethnic groups will likely be affected by a proposed action or decision. REIAs are used to minimize unanticipated adverse consequences in a variety of contexts, including the analysis of proposed policies, institutional practices, programs, plans and budgetary decisions. The REIA can be a vital tool for preventing institutional racism and for identifying new options to remedy long-standing inequities. (1) Given the current structure of the Legislature, and its various ... Read more
- News From Capitol: Report on 2018-19 Executive Budget ProposalJanuary 26, 2018Governor’s Executive Budget Proposal for FY 2018-19
- 2018 Legislative ForecastDecember 14, 20172018 Legislative Forecast December 2017: Quarterly
- TOOLKIT: Grassroots Pocket GuideOctober 25, 2017NASW-NYS Grassroots Pocket Guide Presented by: Karin
- 2017-2018 Legislative PrioritiesOctober 19, 2017NASW-NYS 2017/2018 Legislative Agenda A primary
A B O U T K A R I N C A R R E A U
Karin Carreau, MSW, Founder and Principal of Carreau Consulting, has been on the scene at the Capitol for nearly 15 years and as such, has built a strong track record of successes. Throughout her career, Carreau has provided representation on high profile issues in the arenas of juvenile justice, mental health parity, professional scope of practice licensing and continuing education issues, social services and consumer protection. Carreau created the state’s Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative and co-created the state’s program on problem gambling: The Problem Gambling Training Partnership.
Carreau has worked extensively with statewide associations to develop strategic organizational policy priorities, craft and implement issue-specific campaigns, construct public relations messaging, cultivate stakeholder engagement, and foster coalition building.