Karin Carreau, MSW
NASW-NYS Policy Consultant
- ACTION ALERT: Calls Needed for Full Implementation of Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Parity Laws!June 11, 2018Call Your Legislators and Leadership TODAY to Express Support & Urge a Vote on Legislation Requiring Insurers and Health Plans To Submit Key Compliance Data with Federal and State Parity Laws. Calls and emails are needed for full implementation of Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Parity Laws! With only a handful of days left in the Legislative Session, it is imperative you call or email your legislators and Senate and Assembly leadership TODAY to express strong support for legislation (S.1156-C/A.3694-C), which directs the Superintendent of the Department of Financial Services to collect certain key data and matrixes from insurers and health plans in order to scrutinize and analyze if they are in compliance with the federal and state mental health and substance use (MH/SUD) disorder parity laws. The information collected would be analyzed and used for the preparation of a parity compliance report in the annual “Consumer Guide to Health Insurers” issued by Department of ... Read more
- NASW-NYS Statement on Santa Fe High School ShootingMay 18, 2018The National Association of Social Workers – New York State Chapter (NASW-NYS) offers its heartfelt condolences to the students, faculty, and families of the Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas. We share your loss and grief at the senseless tragedy. Once again, our nation is grieving over the deaths of innocent people in a school shooting. Enough is enough. We demand that Congress treats gun violence as a public health crisis and pass meaningful gun control legislation to curtail this nation’s gun death epidemic. NASW-NYS would like to reiterate that the issue of addressing gun violence is distinct from the right to own firearms. Our focus is to mobilize legislators, stakeholders, and the community to reduce gun-related deaths and injuries through honest dialogue and sensible gun reform that keeps dangerous weapons out of the wrong hands. Gun violence is a public health crisis that impacts individuals and families from every culture, age group, and geographical area in the ... Read more
- ACTION ALERT: Call your Senator and ask them to pass bill S.263 and ban conversion therapy in NYS!May 3, 2018With your participation, we had one of the most successful Legislative Education and Advocacy Day events ever! But there is still work to be done to get this bill to the finish line. Click to see the action alert. On Wednesday, April 25, NASW-NYS, along with social work students and professionals from across the state, held court at the NYS Capitol to advance legislation (A.3977/S.263) to prohibit licensed mental health professionals from practicing so-called “conversion therapy” with minors for the purpose of changing their sexual orientation or gender identity, and defining such activity as professional misconduct, subjecting the licensed professional to disciplinary action. Photo courtesy of Pilar Arthur-Snead, Photographic Expressions Studio & Gallery, LLC Whether or not you were able to attend 2018 LEAD, your input has already made a difference. Some accomplishments to celebrate include: Our event received national coverage, including: NY advocates renew push ... Read more
- News From Capitol: Report on 2018-19 Executive Budget ProposalJanuary 26, 2018Governor’s Executive Budget Proposal for FY 2018-19
- 2018 Legislative ForecastDecember 14, 20172018 Legislative Forecast December 2017: Quarterly
- TOOLKIT: Grassroots Pocket GuideOctober 25, 2017NASW-NYS Grassroots Pocket Guide Presented by: Karin
- 2017-2018 Legislative PrioritiesOctober 19, 2017NASW-NYS 2017/2018 Legislative Agenda A primary
A B O U T K A R I N C A R R E A U
Karin Carreau, MSW, Founder and Principal of Carreau Consulting, has been on the scene at the Capitol for nearly 15 years and as such, has built a strong track record of successes. Throughout her career, Carreau has provided representation on high profile issues in the arenas of juvenile justice, mental health parity, professional scope of practice licensing and continuing education issues, social services and consumer protection. Carreau created the state’s Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative and co-created the state’s program on problem gambling: The Problem Gambling Training Partnership.
Carreau has worked extensively with statewide associations to develop strategic organizational policy priorities, craft and implement issue-specific campaigns, construct public relations messaging, cultivate stakeholder engagement, and foster coalition building.