Since its inception in 1955, the National Association of Social Workers has had a three-fold purpose:
- to strengthen and unify the profession as a whole,
- to promote the development of social work practice, and
- to promote human well being through social action.
The mission of the New York State Chapter of NASW is to promote and advocate throughout New York State for:
- the strength, unity, identity and status of the social work profession,
- the enhancement of social work practice, and
- policies, services and programs that promote social justice.