|Happy Social Work Month!
It’s our favorite time of the year: Happy Social Work Month!
Every day, the nation’s 650,000 social workers act as advocates, champions, and leaders who make our society a better place to live.
For instance, in New York, we are taking the lead this year with the #InvestinSocialWork campaign, which seeks to end a 14-year tradition of inequality in New York’s mental health system and request a substantial financial investment in the social work profession — one of the state’s largest groups of mental health providers. (Follow our updates here)
The 2018 Social Work Month theme “Social Workers: Leaders. Advocates. Champions.” will inform the public about the past and present role of social workers in helping the most vulnerable people in our society, as well as their role in improving the lives of all Americans.
The campaign will also improve the image and respect of the social work profession by educating the public, the media, and elected officials about the profession.
We hope you will take some time this month to celebrate yourself and all your tremendous efforts and accomplishments as social work leaders, advocates, and champions. Thank you, for being part of this wonderful profession!
Get Involved this Month!
MARCH 20 IS WORLD SOCIAL WORK DAY!
The 2018 World Social Work Day highlights ‘Promoting Community and Environmental Sustainability’. It is the key day in the year that social workers worldwide stand together to celebrate the achievements of the profession and take the theme message into their communities, workplaces, and to their governments to raise awareness of the social work contributions and need for further action.
RECRUIT A MEMBER!
The achievements we accomplish as a Chapter would not be possible without the support and involvement of our members. Help our Chapter grow and advance the profession of social work further by encouraging other social workers to join as an NASW member!
Actual contents may vary. Full merchandise for display purpose only.
Anyone who joins, renews, or transitions from a student to a regular membership from now until March 31st, will receive a special welcome gift from NASW-NYS!
Social Work Month is a great opportunity for members to get more involved with the Chapter.
- Be part of NASW-NYS by attending a Division meeting, join a Steering Committee, or run for NASW-NYS Leadership/Board position. See what opportunities are available.
- Donate to PACE! Your support gives the Chapter funds needed to make difference in campaigns and elections. Your contribution to NASW-NYS PACE will go to support candidates who are social workers or social work-friendly. Please consider donating today!
Consider publishing an op-ed, letter to the editor, or a blog post to spread awareness about the profession of social work, address an issue of concern for you, or to simply share resources and information to your fellow social work colleagues.
- Join the Social Work Investment Initiative Call-In Day on Tuesday, March 6, and let your legislators know that an investment in social work is an investment in our communities!
- Help us develop a comprehensive calendar of continuing education and professional development workshops to address the educational needs of our social workers by becoming a continuing education/workshop presenter for NASW-NYS
- Get active online! Tweet and share videos and posts on your social media and website that help explain what social workers do and the impact of our profession.This is also a great opportunity for you to network online with other social workers across the state. Here’s what you can do:
HONOR OUR SOCIAL WORKERS
NASW-NYS and its 10 Divisions host award programs and scholarships to recognize exemplary members, future leaders, outstanding agencies, and inspiring public citizens. If you are an NASW member, please take time this year to nominate social workers and other community champions you admire. Currently, you can submit nominations or submissions for the following events/programs:
- 2018 Western Division Social Work Awards
- 2018 Suffolk Division Social Work Awards
- 2018 Suffolk Division Student Scholarships
- 2018 Nassau Division Social Work Awards
- NASW-NYS I Am Social Work Campaign
We also encourage you to attend upcoming social work award programs to honor this year’s award recipients. Registration for the following award programs are now open:
- 2018 Westchester Division Social Work Awards (Thursday, March 29, 2018, at The Woman’s Club of White Plains/C.V. Rich Mansion)
- 2018 Western Division Social Work Awards – Small Change Adds Up: How Social Workers Can Contribute to a Juts Western NY (Thursday, March 29, 2018, at Buffalo Center for Arts and Technology)
ATTEND A WORKSHOP/EVENT NEAR YOU
March 8 – CNLI Committee Call
March 13 – Annual Social Work Month Long Island Fellowship Event (Farmingdale, NY)
March 14 – AGR/PACE Committee Call
March 17 – NASW-NYS Board Meeting (Albany, NY)
March 20 – CNLI Committee Call
March 22 – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! NASW-NYS Central Division Soup Day at Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY)
March 29 – NASW-NYS Western Division Social Work Awards (Buffalo, NY)
March 29 – NASW-NYS Westchester Division Social Work Awards (White Plains, NY)
March 5 – DBT: Not Just for Our Clients (Loudonville, NY)
March 6, 13, & 20 – VIRTUAL SERIES: Overlooked and Underserved: Clinical and Educational Perspectives in the Treatment and Support of Twice Exceptional Children, Adolescents, and Their Families (Live Webinar)
March 13 – Political Social Work: The Role of Social Workers in Politics @ the Annual Social Work Month Long Island Fellowship Event (Farmingdale, NY)
March 14 – LEARNING WEDNESDAY: Depression: Etiology, Assessment, and Diagnosis (Live Webinar)
March 28 – LEARNING WEDNESDAY: Depression: Promising and Evidence Based Treatments (Live Webinar)
March 21 – 2018 Legislative Education and Advocacy Day
March 29 – NASW Virtual Career Fair