Your voice on Capitol Hill.
A primary benefit of NASW-NYS membership is the comprehensive political and legislative representation we provide you on a daily basis. While you are busy practicing, we are your voice at the state capitol, protecting your career, defending your scope of practice, advancing legislation to expand practice opportunities, securing funding for membership workforce development programming and providing visibility on a number of social justice issues you’ve identified as priority concerns.
There are no active action alerts at this moment. Please check back soon.
A sampling of our many successes include:
- Ended several attempts to permanently exempt state agencies from social work licensure requirements
- Provided a strong social work voice in the efforts to Raise the Age of Criminal Responsibility
- Halted several attempts of scope of practice impingement
- Removed potentially devastating budget language regarding scope of practice
- Amended potentially harmful regulatory language related to school counselor scope of practice
- Secured legislation to allow LMSWs and LCSWs to administer the life-saving antidote to a heroin overdose
- Secured permanent reauthorization and expansion of the social work loan forgiveness program
- Stemmed school social worker cuts
- Secured waiver authorizing non for profit corporations to employ licensed social workers
- Secured reimbursement of LCSW services to children under 19 and pregnant women
- Created (and secured ongoing funding) for the Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative (to date, has trained over 1600 social workers in veterans specific issues)
- Created and secured ongoing funding for Problem Gambling Partnership Training Program
- Repealed a provision prohibiting licensed social workers from providing alcohol and substance abuse assessments and treatment
- Secured passage of the states mental health parity statute