Hiring: NASW-NYS Policy Coordinator
Position: Policy Coordinator
Salary Range: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Supervisor: Executive Director
Position Status: Part-Time Temporary
*potential to become fulltime permanent for right candidate
I. Major Functions:
- Carries out the development of Chapter policies, procedures, operations and programming related to advocacy;
- Lobbies the NYS Legislature, Government Agencies and other organizations in pursuit of the Chapter Advocacy Agenda;
- Explores professional development opportunities as they relate to the legislative landscape for members;
- Staffs and assists PACE in an effort to move our Advocacy Agenda forward.
II. Basic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides representation on behalf of the Chapter in the areas of advocacy, social work practice and professional development;
- Recommends and implements priorities, strategies and programming relating to social work advocacy practice and the profession;
- Works with the NYC Chapter to coordinate lobbying efforts;
- Participates with coalitions of which NASW-NYS is a member;
- Submits lobbying reports;
- Communicates with the media to articulate advocacy concerns of the profession and the Chapter;
- Develops social policy analysis and data collection relevant to social work practice;
- Contributes to programs for the professional development of social workers including on-line courses, newsletter CE issues, division events and conferences;
- Works with Chapter staff on initiatives as directed by the Executive Director;
- Presents legislative and advocacy updates at Board of Directors meetings
III. Working Relationships:
- Reports to the Executive Director and has regular contact with Chapter staff.
- Maintains regular contact with committee chairs and representatives of Board of Directors as needed.
- Responds to relevant membership inquiries.
- Maintains appropriate contact with elected and appointed government officials; representatives of social welfare organizations; professional associations; social work education programs; and, coalitions/allied organizations and the media in order to enhance the image of the Chapter and the attainment of its objectives;
- Communicates external contacts to the Executive Director to ensure adequate coordination.
IV. Minimum Work Requirements
- MSW from CSWE accredited school preferred.
- Knowledge of social work professional issues and social policy.
- In-depth knowledge of NASW policies, procedures and operations.
- One to five years’ experience in working with public officials and legislative staff;
- Experience in working with volunteers and supervising staff in the creation and implementation of policy goals and objectives.
- Experience and knowledge of legislative process and lobbying.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to effectively communicate and make presentations to a wide variety of audiences.
- Superb organizational skills with ability to balance several projects simultaneously including a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to research and analyze policy and practice issues.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships and to build credibility and trust throughout the organization and externally.
- Ability to work independently, but also as part of a team.
To apply, send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com with subject line 'Policy Coordinator'.
*NASW-NYS is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. Applicants from diverse communities are encouraged to apply.